In this tutorial, I will show you how to draw an open mouth step by step. It is very important to adopt a standard procedure when drawing so that you don’t do extra correction works after everything is finished. The rule of thumb is to always go for the general shape and proportion before focusing on the minor details. Here is how its done.
- First I use very rough lines to map out the boundaries of the open mouth drawing, this will act as a guide line for my next step.
How to Draw an Open Mouth 01
- Then still using rough lines, I sketch out the rough shapes of the mouth, teeth and tongue. This is a very important stage to get the proportions and shapes of all the elements right, because you don’t want to go back to change the size and shapes after shading is applied.
How to Draw an Open Mouth 02
- This is the stage where I apply a basic shading to the open mouth drawing, giving it a clear division line between the dark side and the light side.
How to Draw an Open Mouth 03
- With the basic dark and light shading in place, I further refine the details within the dark and light areas. This will give the mouth drawing more depth.
How to Draw an Open Mouth 04
- Construction lines are removed and more detail shading and texture are added to provide a smooth gradient and realistic feeling.
How to Draw an Open Mouth 05
- Finally, many white spots are added as highlight points. This is something that will bring out the overall look and feel of real skin texture.