I am going to demonstrate to you the process which I used to paint the monkey god in Photoshop in this tutorial. I always paint in a systematical way, even when I am doing it in digital formats.
01. First I will draw the pose using rough lines, ignoring minor details. At this stage we should keep everything very loose and only concentrate on the overall look and feel.
02. After I am satisfied with the pose and shape, I will then add in the armor and costumes. Giving him a more stylish look.
03. Then I will add in the basic colours, keeping the contrast high and strong.
04. Adding in highlight and shadows to give it more depth.
05. Here I add in the background to build up the mood of the whole picture.
06. This is a very crucial stage where I have to add in the spotlight. This will make everything very shiny and reflective.
07. Here I added in the glow in his eyes and refined the textures of his armor.
08. With the glowing Chinese words added behind in the background, the whole image appeared to be brightened up.
09. To enhance it even more, I added more glow to the hair and the stick he is holding.
10. Last but no least, I added his name at the bottom left corner and the main title of the illustration. Hope you enjoy this Photoshop painting tutorial!